Tuesday 4 December 2012

Praise you in the storm!

 
Image by Phil Moore/ Al Jazeera
Exactly 2 weeks ago yesterday the city of Goma (eastern Congo) was captured by the rebel group M23. Fear crippled me. Fear of the unknown, and my heart went out to the mass population of the city and the surrounding area. Amongst them were some of my family members, close relatives and friends. The innocent civilians who's lives were placed under immense danger, who were terrified and therefore had no choice but to leave their homes and forced to become IDPs (internally displaced people). The fear of living in horrible conditions, lacking food or sanitation for themselves and their children, no roof over their heads but above all...simply not knowing whether they'll see another day!


Can you imagine living in such condition?
Constantly afraid of what tomorrow will bring? The uncertainty, lack of peace and security but yet, in all the adversity you still keep your faith? I've been in that situation. As a child I grew up in that same environment and experienced first-hand what 'WAR' is all about. (I'll elaborate more some other time, but for now this is not about me). And to this day I always exclaim that 'War is NOT for children, or any innocent civilian for that matter', but sadly as history has proved, they are the ones who suffer most.
 
You see that is the reality for many people living in the eastern part of Congo. Tormented by violence, death and impunity for more than 16 years, the war has taken the lives of over 6 million 'innocent' people. People like you and I. I hear you asking why is this happening? Well, I will have to write up an entire blog post explaining all about it. But for now, the war is for Geo-strategic conflict for the scramble of Congo's natural resources. A country the size of eastern Europe, which is worth up to 24 trillion dollars in terms of natural resources coupled with poor governance and illegal extraction and exploitation of the mineral rich area is an open invitation for anyone from the outside to plunge in and take whatever they want. Much of them we benefit from here in the West without even knowing.

And the sickening part of the story is that our media very little reporting on this humanitarian catastrophe, leading to many lives being forgotten. But as human beings at the VERY LEAST, we MUST and CAN do more. When one member suffers, we all suffer. That's how I see it. And as a friend of mine, a performance poet best puts it:

"So here comes the challenge.
If ignorance is bliss, and knowledge is power,
then we can no longer claim to be either blissful, or powerless.
And as we think about our situation,
then compare it to theirs,
theirs, which are happening not in some alternate reality, or the pages of a history book,
but happening tonight, in towns and cities laid to siege,
maybe we should feel incredibly blessed,
highly uncomfortable,
and determined to make some sort of difference."


So as the week enrolled and the news flooded, I was completely overwhelmed. But sadly life moved on. I spent hours reading online articles to keep updated. I also joined twitter to get instant news update from reporters on the ground. In terms of action, I sent letters, signed e-petitions and emailed some MPs and our UK Foreign Minister Mr William Hague to try and enforce action. But still my mind was not at peace. So I took some time to pray everyday, and instantly I felt released & reassured that God was surely in control. No matter how difficult life gets, I've learnt to place my worries in God's hands for deliverance. I try my best to live a life of worship and praise my creator who knows all things and hears prayers. Today, I have hope, hope that I can't even begin to describe. As I write this, M23 have withdrawn from the city of Sake and Goma. I know that my beloved country is going through tough season, but a day will come when we'll eventually find peace . Now is time for action, the journey will be tough but the end result will be rewarding. Join the movement. Educate yourself & others about Congo's plight.


9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. -- 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10




Links:

Who are the M23 rebels? http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/11/2012112511326353348.html

M23 capture Goma, in pictures. Photos by Phil Moore/ Al Jezeera
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2012/11/2012112312921996205.html

What is the Congo War all about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLV9szEu9Ag

A great blog on Congo, its politics and tribulations, by Jason Stearns. Author of 'Dancing in the Glory of Monsters'.
http://congosiasa.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-politics-of-fait-accompli.html

A great analysis by Simon Tisdall for the Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/19/agony-congo-drc

An e-petition to sign, it'll take you less than two minutes to complete.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/42437

and finally, JJ Bola's recent piece on the Congo's crisis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8DoPRltdcg&feature=autoplay&list=LLiBM3ajg_YA6dl86PvTQh-A&playnext=1



No comments:

Post a Comment