Wednesday 19 December 2012

A tribute to my mother...

The 5th of December marked a very important day. A day that no-one in my family will ever forget. It was mama's birthday. Not just any anniversary, a milestone...she hit the blessed age of 60. A day that accumilated so much emotion, looking back in hindsight at the marvels of her life. A From the day she was born up to now. Her journey has been a fascinating one, an inspiring one. She has come so far! Only by grace!! 

She has achieved so much in her lifetime that deserves an award but above all...she has given even more. Her time, her energy, her possession, her love to help those around her. Even when she has nothing, it never prevents her to go out of her own way to be a blessing to others. She lovingly, gracefully and joyfully offers up sacrifices for the sake of others. Like my father always says, 'Maman a un don de donner'. He couldn't be more right. Her entire lifestyle demostrates this quote by Anne Frank, 'No one has ever become poor from giving' - and indeed her willingness to give her everything has not only blessed  herself but our entire family in so many different ways. For that I am admire her! I ought to tell her of that more often.


SHE IS A DAUGHTER, A SISTER, A SISTER-IN-LAW, A WIFE, A MOTHER, A GRAND-MOTHER.

We had planned a gathering to celebrate her special day on the weekend of the 8th. I took some time off from University, and returned home to celebrate with her. This I couldn't miss in the world. The idea was simply bring together some of our close friends & family to Praise God for her life. For her journey, and this new beginning. It was a tremendous day. Some of our Congolese/African/local community donated their time, money and energy to cook some delicious food for her party. When time eventually came, people started arriving, food was served & music played in the background. It had to be some auntentic Congolese gospel music.

                                      The guest all seated and ready to have a good time.


 She was so ecstatic to see & spend time with those she hadn't seem in a while.  They shared embrace, long warm hugs that spoke more than words. The smile on her face was the icing on the cake. From where I was serving others/ running around making sure everything was in place, I took some time to take it all in. I looked around to see all the people who had turned up, showed their support and that's when it hit me...Mama was loved. By so many.This was just a little glimpse of her blessings, getting back what she had worked so hard for, supporting others in their dire times. Through laughter and tears. She has worked with some of the most vulnerable people in the community, and does so with humility and pride. She loves her job...and in return, her clients think the world of her. Whenever I'm with her, and I'm introduced to them as her daughter, their faces light up. It's always followed by a hand-shake, a hug and admiration of how amazing maman has been to them. It happens every time. And her close friends were also here, for her, to show her just how much they appreciated her.

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates. -Proverbs 30:30-31

I had written a poem, a short one, that simply highlights in a nutshell just what I think of her. That's the only way I could express my feeling, because to me, she is worth more than a thousand words. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read it to her then, but as soon as she returns home from work today, I'll most certainly do it. Here is it, I hope you enjoy,

To my mother,
A woman of substance, strength & love,
 I appreciate you.
A woman of patience, purpose & prayer
Who exudes wisdom & self-worth,
A woman of hope, honesty & humility,
I strive to be like you.
A woman who demonstrates kindness and happiness
even in the harshest adversity,
I thank God for you.
Today marks a very special day for you,
60 years of utter fabulousness,
only by grace.
A hard worker, Nobel-Peace-Prize-nominee,
a stroke survivor, a fighter!
You embody everything I strive towards and so much more,
I am even more blessed to call you my mother,
Happy 60th birthday maman. Je t'aime. enormenent
 
 
I dedicate this song to her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AphKUK8twg 
In my eyes, she's most certainly a SUPERWOMAN & So much more
 

Happy wednesday!

 

2 comments:

  1. Your mother is an inspiration. After listening to that bbc show I was wowed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks honey for your comment. She's a trouper! And we all owe her so much for all her hardwork, serving our family over the years. This was the least we could do in return. :)

    ReplyDelete