Saturday 4 February 2017

Stay rooted in love

“…rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.” – Colossians 2:7

Isn’t it funny how time just keeps ticking on and the days go by sometimes unnoticed and before you know it a whole year has come and gone? Many dreams were accomplished, some unrealised and others still yet to be thought of. Numerous people encountered forming some of the deepest friendships that turn strangers into family, some broken relationships, while other acquaintances bind us to souls that seem all too familiar, like we’ve known them for a lifetime. Countless inner battles fought, insecurities shattered and fears conquered. Tears, uncontrollable laughter, mixed emotions, a bucket full of confusion and multiple questions left unanswered defined the seasons passed.  It’s safe to say that a lot has happened in my life over the past 3 years since I took a break from blogging but one thing that has remained steadfast and unchanging is my faith, an albeit fragile faith that has persevered in growth through some of the harshest seasons.


“…day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different” - C.S.Lewis

I can confess without a single doubt that the Lord has been so good to me and the mere thought of His faithfulness in my life over the past year alone never fails to reduce me to tears. Just like the passage in Colossians quoted above articulates, I too am overflowing with thankfulness, joy and gratitude. My journey so far has been unique, challenging yet imperfectly beautiful. I would not change a single thing. Some of the deepest pain, anxiety and loneliness experienced along the journey taught me something valuable about myself and stretched me out of my comfort zone but most of all pushed me to strive for progress not perfection.

Staying rooted in my walk of faith however has not been easy but boy has it kept me grounded. Imagine a tree that is firmly planted on solid ground and has had decades of growth and its roots go way deep. Storms may rage, thunderous rain may fall and the fiercest heatwave may threaten its existence and though its leaves may fall off, branches may weaken and climate change but year after year – the tree remains strong and in position. Change of season and the passing years produces growth which only reveal the depth of the tree’s roots and its maturity.  I wonder what keeps you firmly planted when internal and external circumstances challenge your existence and faith? Where do you run to for strength, and where do you establish your roots when the going gets tough?

May you stand firm and unshaken and may you find joy in every season of life

Just like this tree, I hope and pray that your faith may be rooted in its source, that you will not be consumed or overwhelmed by the distractions life may bring but be fully grounded in truth, the word of God which provides nourishment and longevity. I do not know what these ‘distractions’ may look like in your life but I can only guess that they may manifest themselves in the stresses and strains of daily hustle. Have peace, breathe and be reminded that everything is working out for your good. One of the biggest lessons I’ve learnt so far in my life, which is so simple yet so profound and life-changing is that I am deeply loved by the creator of the Universe – who sees me and knows me and still chooses to pursue me even when I am my own worst enemy. Nothing I’ve ever done, fail to do or will ever do can separate me from this profound truth and reality. Everything else stems from this firm foundation and knowledge. That is what keeps me rooted.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with allthe Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and deep is the love of Christ. - Ephesians 3:17-18

May you continue to be rooted in the Lord, the one who is love and may He be the source of your strength, energy and growth. And from this powerful knowledge be aware of your calling so you may be useful for the Kingdom. When I strip away everything that in the eye of this success-driven society seem to define me like my qualifications, job, status, salary, relationships etc. what am I left with? My identity is not found in things that are here today and gone tomorrow; my identity is in fact rooted in the deep love of Christ. He is my source, my reason for being and he sustains me daily to keep learning, growing, to love deep and serve with a heart full of thankfulness. 



Have a fruitful year ahead full of love, joy and peace,

Fufu




2 comments:

  1. nice, Fufu, aspirational. one thing I'd recommend is include more concrete colourful specifics, this always makes writing more compelling:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, I will endeavour to do that more. :)

      Delete