Monday 5 August 2013

Taking time-out…




stunning sunset from our Campsite- Priceless


















‘We need times of solitude and silence. We need times of refreshment, laughter and rest. We need to listen to the voice of God in our hearts as he tells us what we need.' – Captivating, by John & Staci Eldredge

I have just returned from a week-long camping holiday called FOCUS with my church family, which was hosted by HTB church network and was situated in the small town called Mablethorpe (far east-cost of England). It was simply magnificent. If I go on to describe just how awesome it felt to truly zone out from all the distractions of life and FOCUS on God…I would bore you with all the details. But it really got me thinking about the importance of taking time-out. This is something I particularly struggle with. The idea of putting a break to everything, simply letting go, inhaling and exhaling rest and exercising a prayerful lifestyle in exchange to living on a busy schedule and constantly being ‘proactive’ is not easy. How many of us really enjoy times of solitude and silence when presented with the opportunity?


The idea of complete silence used to scare me. I would deliberately avoid the ‘silence zone’ in the library because of it. When I’m all alone, I would put some music on in the background just to remind me that I am not alone. I had a fear for the complete absence of sound. But I’ve changed. How? I don’t know…perhaps it’s part of growing up. The things I used to detest I am now starting to enjoy, appreciate & adopt.
31 And He said to them, “Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” - Mark 6:31

How many of us would exchange the current situation we are in to just ‘get away’ and ‘experience something new’? Rest is essential and silence even more necessary. In fact they are both needed, especially when it comes to spiritual growth. We have to be careful not to overwhelm ourselves, to burn ourselves out in the attempt to living a ‘fulfilled life’. Exhaustion causes us to lose our creativity and strength to keep us sustained. Taking time out doesn’t necessarily mean going away to an exotic country and experiencing the fullness of the sun and amazing beaches (or perhaps that is your concept of ‘zoning-out’). But I really think that it is in the smallest thing in life that we can revel in time of solitude and silence. Below, I have enlisted 6 practical ways you can take time out;

1.      Start the day in meditation: indulge in the presence of God.

2.      Have a long bubble-bath instead of a quick shower

3.      Read more enriching books, have time to think; learn something new.

4.      Enjoy gardening – nature is great for detoxing, healing and relaxation

5.      Pay attention to the small marvels of earth. E.g. Watch the sunset

6.      Have a long nap, it’s okay. You really deserve it


We live in a very tense society. We are pulled apart... and we all need to learn how to pull ourselves together.... I think that at least part of the answer lies in solitude. ~Helen Hayes
Take time out to rest this week... enjoy the silence! Why not start today, Happy Monday!

Fufu xoxo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment