Wednesday 21 August 2013

I will remember you...


Just the other morning when I awoke and was reading my daily devotion, I stumbled upon a well-known story in the bible...it was the story of Joseph. (One of my all-time favourites). Surprisingly, the verse that I read seemed oh so familiar - except a tiny little detail that caught my attention and thus lead me to ponder on something that I've been struggling with lately, and nope, this isn't one of my 'post-graduation syndromes' as I like to diagnose it. (Or perhaps it is) but that's not the point. It's about the gift of remembering and Genesis 40 captures the moment Joseph (who ironically is the captain guard in the prison he is kept in) interprets two prisoners dreams and Joseph asks a simple yet, significant favour afterwards,

14 But remember me when it is well with you, and please show kindness to me; make mention of me to Pharaoh, and get me out of this house.



and just further down, it goes on to say 'the wine steward never gave Joseph another thought - he forgot all about me'. This struck me. And almost brought me to tears, (these days anything makes me cry. I'm so convinced that it is indirectly linked to one of my syndromes) lol. But on a serious note, I strongly believe that despite the plethora of social networking sites and media in our 21st century, we are still so very much detached from really connecting with people & getting to KNOW people God has placed in our lives on a deeper level. But this particular passage calls out to truly remember, deeply think about and as the definition describes it 'Keep in mind' (and particularly pray) for those who are no longer 'close' to us. Whilst reading this, I had an influx of various people that I've met along the way whom I no longer 'keep in mind' as often as I should, many of them not at all. And it almost felt like I was betraying them, as extreme as that may sound. So as I pulled out the scrap of paper that I could find close by, I began to write down names of people...and the more I wrote, the more I felt so blessed & this quote began to sink in. Something so simple, yet so profound.

"If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched." - Tyler Hawkins ( Remember me)

Reciprocally, I also felt hurt that likewise...I may not be in many people's 'mind'; especially those that I've encountered quite recently. My Uni colleagues, 'accidental acquaintances' as I refer to them, friends ad even family members who've moved on and have become preoccupied with 'doing life' and without knowing it have fallen in the category of 'Long Lost Friends'. I think this is such a big deal for me because I get easily attached to people (not in a clingy sorta way) but I genuinely want to contribute to their lives one way or another. But I also want to learn from them, to share in their joys and sadness - simply appreciate them. It's really challenging for me to let go of people. Especially those who have had a positive input in my life...I feel like I owe them something. As if I should return the favour by simply keeping in touch with them and finding out how things. Is that bad?!

Truthfully speaking, I am also get caught up with other things...and do end up forgetting people. And I guess that's normal, which is why I understand how the same tends to happen to others too. And there are the exceptional incidents where by it's easier to simply move on and close a chapter so we can have the confidence to begin a new one...and I understand that too, to some extent. But I know deep down, that I must and can do better. I cherish each and everyone who have played a significant role in my life, both good and bad - I've learnt from you. We were at one point interconnected, though we are no longer phisicaly close, as the Ubuntu philosophy best states it 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. So Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Life happens, we are a changing and moving people...but I just want to let you know that you are close to my heart, I will always remember you.

Can you relate to this post? Is there someone you've been meaning to get in touch with but simply haven’t? Why not take this opportunity...send them a little message. A little goes a long way. :)

Peace & JOY,


Fufu


2 comments:

  1. This is very touching & true as we tend to forget people who we have encountered & made an impact in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks lovely. Just thought i'd blog about it as it's a topic we can all relate to. It's so important to remember them. (Easy said than done of course)

    ReplyDelete