Wednesday 4 September 2013

The joy of walking on water...


Have you recently felt like you are being called to something new? A change of country/city, career path, pursuing further education, taking your spirituality more seriously? Or perhaps it’s something less drastic and yet just the mere thought of it presents you with doubt beyond belief, which subsequently affects your decision-making. Therefore you are also aware that whichever decision you do make will be costly, and this utterly scares you (though you may not want to admit it) You feel like the more you pray about it, the more confused and agitated you become towards the prospect of stepping out of your comfort zone and experiencing something new. Well, I’m here to reassure you that you are not alone.                                                                  
Your life’s highest calling will always create the highest level of joy within…

How to know the will of God

Since the beginning of this year, I have felt a strong sense of calling to serve, yet I did not know what on earth that meant. In my mind I thought I already had this ‘serving’ thing covered by God by simply living a Christ-centred life but I missed an important factor and that is that we are all called by God to live and work to the praise and glory of our Lord Jesus Christ whilst on this earth. That is the ultimate call. I like the analogy of thinking that we are all missionaries on planet earth, each of us eqquiped with our gifts and talents to fulfil our duty. Now the choice however lies in whether or not we choose to live by this concept or not, as this little quote best states it;
"While they pick between following their hearts and following their minds, I suggest what I know best: Following Jesus." - Unknown

Being called requires us to give ourselves away completely, trusting God wholeheartedly? Sounds scary right? Well, take the disciple’s story for instant…when Jesus called each of them asking them to ‘follow’ Him, what did they do? Did any of them have plans, dreams and ambitions of their own? Of course they did! Some even hesitated, wondering whether this was the right thing to do…but for most, the invitation seemed far more appealing. Wow, how strong their faith must have been, I think now…to simply ‘get up and follow him’ as Mathew the tax collector did, leaving behind his job and future plans. Or leaving their home, family and cattle just like Abram did. So I did what I thought best and consulted my councils (parents, close friends, wise colleagues) and this is what I found. I quickly began to realise that I had a lot of discerning to do, beginning with this one:

Discerning what success really means to me –
My definition of success was measured by worldly satisfactions and I knew this had to change. I began praying, interceding that the Lord will start to shift this as I knew that I wanted to follow Him, but was being held up by the thoughts of what other people will think of me for this decision. I desperately wanted to stop comparing myself to other people around me, especially my peers who would be heading off to doing their dream jobs and doing whatever pleased them. I knew my path was changing, so therefore for the first time in a long time…I began living out Proverbs 3:6 and pleaded with God to ‘direct my path’ as I had no idea what I wanted to do. This simple, yet powerful act of acknowledging Him in my decision-making brought forth a peace of mind, one that transcended my understanding. And since then, I have received strong affirmation of the will of God in my life so let me assure you that though I may not be where 'I' want to be, I am exactly where I am supposed to be, by the grace of God, and for me that is enough.

Run your best in the race of faith, and win eternal life for yourself; for it was for this life that God called you when you firmly professed your faith before many witnesses. (1 Timothy 6: 12)

So, still feeling apprehensive about following Jesus’ call? Read Matthew 14: 28-30 (NIV)

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.

v  Ask God if it is really Him calling you, He will answer. Ask Him to equip you with faith, courage and wisdom to be able to step outside the boat (your comfort zone)

v  Then, simply GO. Get out of the boat, start walking towards Jesus. Can you see it? You are now walking on water.

v  Now, Fix your eyes on the Jesus and do not let the strong waves, wind and storm of life toss you over. You have come so far, you don’t want to start sinking now, do you? Just keep your eyes fixed on Him and Him alone.

Jesus says ‘…Take courage. I am here!’

I am now excited for the next chapter of my life, a journey with my Lord which is not promising to be easy but exceptionally victorious.  At the end of my life, I want to be able to stand before God and pray the same prayer Jesus uttered - ‘I have glorified you on the earth. I have finished the work which you have given me to do.’ So be encouraged dear readers, have faith and above all…pick up your cross and follow Him; the true giver of life and finisher of your faith.

Peace & Joy,

Fufu

No comments:

Post a Comment