Wednesday 10 July 2013

Graduating with gratitude

So, Monday was a joyous day of celebration. It was graduation day!! :) I was finally presented with my Bachelor of Arts degree in Interior Design. The sun was shining. My classmates were all dressed up, soaking up the occasion, I was surrounded by my wonderful family and friends (who were genuinely proud of my achievements) and had the immense privilege of rejoicing on the past 3 years of this unforgettable journey of University life. As the famous saying goes 'All good things must come to an end' and it did and it was unbelievably emotional. But I thank God for bringing me thus far, I can now declare that it was not easy...but with hard work and perseverance coupled with  faith and diligence I crossed the finishing line. And it was glorious!


You will face many defeats in your life, but never let yourself be defeated. - Maya Angelou


I could not have done it alone. I owe my family, friends and you wonderful readers so very much for your encouragements, prayers and support during these very trying times. As the picture on the left demonstrates...It was certainly a time of letting go of all the stress, by the infamous gesture of throwing the cap and leaping for JOY! And doing so in style...the 'Authentic Happyness' style.

 Yet, above it all...I could not help but contemplate on how these few years have transformed me. I came to university as a timid individual who thought she knew it all. Only to realise that I would come to gain so much more than just a degree. No doubt has these few months made me more aware of who I am, and in so many level. The challenges encountered forced me to look beyond myself and my own abilities but taught me to rely on a higher source for strength, courage and wisdom. My experiences, mistakes, lesson-learnt and people I came across have all contributed greatly to providing me with incredible memories that I would not trade in a million years, and for that I feel tremendously blessed.

Although this degree means so much to me, I do not want to fall under the category of the many graduates who focus solely on allowing their degree to define them. I for one know that my university experience was so much more than just the academic side...It was more to do with being spiritually made whole, accepting the many responsibilities placed in front of me and facing my fears head on. Yet every aspect of it taught me that I too can do absolutely anything I place my mind towards, with the help of God of course. Congo Week for example could not have happened if I didn't step outside my comfort zone and just DID it. I had nothing to loose. It all boiled down to finding a comfortable balance between making the most of my degree, being actively and creatively involved in social organisations and campaigns and enjoying time with friends. All these aspects were indeed intertwined. One thing is certain though, My faith and particularly my church played a huge part in me not becoming too overwhelmed and being spiritually fulfilled. I also owe my church family so much for putting up with me doing my difficult times, for praying and interceding for me when I was loosing hope and being there to give physical and moral support one way or another. I've been incredibly blessed. Such wonderful grace that I do not merit, and when I ponder on how GREAT my creator has been in my life it brings tears to my eyes but for that I am grateful! And to end this sentimental post on an all time high, I want to share with you a poem that is very dear to my hear...by the one and only Maya Angelou...


I’m grateful for being here, for being able to think, for being able to see, for being able to taste, for appreciating love – for knowing that it exists in a world so rife with vulgarity, with brutality and violence, and yet love exists. I’m grateful to know that it exists.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you and happy for you. This post is really inspiring Fufu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you my love. Much love to you for inspiring me to keep blogging. More things on the way. :D

    ReplyDelete