Friday 19 July 2013

Fear and Fatigue


So it’s been over a week since I graduated…and it still hasn’t sunk in yet. One thing is certain though, the reality of falling under the category of ‘unemployed’ has indeed settled in. I was filling in some application forms for job opportunities the other day, and it hit me that I am no longer a student. I don’t know how I feel about it. Does that mean I am now a fully pledged adult? What if I am not ready to embrace that fact? What if I just want to remain a student forever, acknowledging the benefits of what that brings along? It’s all too much to take in. Plus on top of that, some of my close friends are all leaving the city. And I for one hate goodbyes. In fact, I detest them. Yet I understand that this is a changing season, people are moving on, going places, accepting new challenges. So does that mean that I should just suck it up and be strong? What if I want to cry, and hide from it all? What if I am not ready or strong enough to stand firm in the midst of all these different waves of emotions? WHAT IF??
Yet in my time of devotion, I hear this:

‘Whenever we are faced with any calamity…we can…stand in the presence…we can cry out to you…and you will hear us and rescue us’ (2 Chronicles 20:9 NLT)
One thing I don’t want to do it to allow fear to cloud up my memory and make me forget of the goodness of God in my life. His track record of his goodness and faithfulness far outweighs any doubt that fear may be dragging in my mind. Yes things are difficult but I don’t want fear to completely cripple me to the point where I lose all my energy to get back up. And Fatigue can also play role in that. It makes me lazy, weary and constantly weak. ‘As a result, fatigue saps our creative energy, distorts our outlook, diminishes our JOY, erodes our confidence and drains us spiritually’ (UCB Word of today).
We then forget that rest is just as important, and it brings forth spiritual renewals (Exodus 20:8-11). I’m learning to make the most of the times I get off. It makes me realise that the problems in my life aren’t all that bad. It could be worse. Fear and fatigue can sometimes cause me to think that I’ve reached my all times low, when in reality…I’m just entering a new phase of my life. As well as being proactive in the search for jobs and opportunities to come, I’m appreciating the rest and allowing my Father to restore my Faith and Soul, trusting in his timing and taking it all in with a heart of gratitude. These are my three antidotes: Proper diet, adequate rest and a good assistant, not forgetting time to meditate in his words.

‘Relax physically, and replenish spiritually’.

What fears are you facing? And how do you combat them? I love hearing from you.

2 comments: