Saturday 9 March 2013

Million Women Rise 2013


As I write this post, thousands of young girls and women from across the country have congregated in central London for the annual event of Million Women Rise march, which takes place every March to celebrate International Women's Day (8th March) with three primary focus;

1) PROTEST: against racism and sexism against women that still exists in our society.

2) RESIST: the culture that objectifies women and girls, blaming the victims and glamorising sexual violence and thus subsequently giving power to the abuser.

3) EMPOWER: the survivors of such violence to know their worth and exercise their rights.


Among them is my mother, who is quite well known in the arena of women activists as she has worked directly with victims of rape and domestic violence for many years. She is also due to speak at the end of the march, at Trafalgar Square with 3 other Congolese women activists who work for peace and justice. I had the huge privilege of finally being able to attend last year's event with a group of powerful, strong women from my home-town, driving 5 hours down to London and 5 hours back. I was blown away at how organised and brilliant the whole day turned out. So much so, that I put a photo/video montage together on Youtube to share my phenomenal experience with others. I'm so gutted I can't make it this year, but for those of you who were not previously aware of this organisation, Please check out their website http://www.millionwomenrise.com/. (Mama happens to be the star of the show, as she and a few other familiar faces are the face of MWR's website).
 

This is our month. And every other day of the year. Let's celebrate each other and acknowledge that we are indeed SUPERWOMEN. From my house to yours, Happy International Women's Day.
(Watch the video I made here:)


ONE WOMEN, ONE BODY, ONE SONG, ONE LOVE

Happy Saturday, <3

Fufu

No comments:

Post a Comment