Monday 24 September 2012

Baking up a sweet surprise

These few weeks have been hectic (hence the absence of recent blog-posts). I've just moved back to Uni for my 3rd (and hopefully final) year & you can just imagine the shift of schedules and routines. Packing, wasting time, being lazy and moving around. But, thankfully I'm back on track again. Finally settling into my new house with beautiful friends. (Thank God for friends, they are truly a ray of sunshine bringing about laughter, motivation when life seems miserable). I'm very much looking forward to what this significant year has to offer. One thing is certain though, it will most definitely be a challenging year (I shall not elaborate more, to avoid blabbering on).


 
I've also made a commitment to start sharing more and more recipes on here, random ones of course. The one I'm about to post was actually made a while back, the last few days I spent at home. I wanted to soak up the joys of being at home (mostly enjoying mama's delicacies)!! I also enjoyed some time with my younger sister and our recent bonding sessions required lots of mess. We baked a very easy 'Vanilla Sugar Cookies'. One of my favourites, just because of its simplicity.
 
I found the recipe at one of my favourite 'chef' who I'm addicted to on you tube, Laura Vitale.
check her out here for more info: http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/
She's ridiculously good, and surprisingly gentle in the way she approaches food in general. I honestly admire her simplicity, which is why I have found more confidence in cooking and specifically baking, as I can be ever so creative every time.
 
The recipe is as follows;
 
Makes 2 Dozen
Ingredients:1 ¾ cups of All Purpose Flour
½ tsp of Baking Powder
½ tsp of Salt
¼ tsp of Baking Soda
1 cup of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
1 cup of Granulated Sugar
1 Egg
½ tsp of Vanilla Extract
½ cup of Granulated Sugar for rolling cookies in


 





Process,
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

2) In a small bowl combine first 4 ingredients and set aside.
 
3) In a large bowl cream together the butter and 1 cup of sugar, add the egg and vanilla and mix until creamy and combined.

4) Add the dry ingredients and mix until everything incorporated.

5) Using a small (1 Tbsp measuring) cooking scoop or just using a tablespoon, form your cookies and roll them around in the extra sugar. Place them on your prepared baking sheet a few inches apart and bake for about 18 minutes rotating the baking sheet once.

6) Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

 

 

 
I hope you find this useful. There is one thing I should warn you guys on, these babies are so addictive. Perfect with a cuppa, on a miserable cold day! Happy Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment