Sunday 21 May 2017

Cultivating the culture of contentment

A harvest of peace is produced from a seed of contentment – Proverb


“The thing is most of us are never satisfied. We’re too busy running after the things that we believe will fulfill us and forget that which we already have. You’ve got to be happy with what you have”. These wise words were spoken to me by a taxi driver as he drove me home from my friend’s house. Lately, some of the most thought-provoking discussions on life, love, faith and everything in between tend to happen in taxis, so this encounter was no exception. It was a late, cold and wet night however and besides being exhausted, the only thing I longed for was the comfort of my bed. I do not remember what prompted our conversation, but the topic of contentment triggered a deep and meaningful exchange that felt like it lasted longer than the 10 minutes journey ride home.

Just that very morning, I had been thinking about where I was in my life, and as I spent some time contemplating some of the growth that had taken place I also remember feeling rather frustrated. A part of me began dwelling on what I did not have, the knowledge I hadn’t yet acquired and the experiences not yet encountered and before I knew it I was swimming in a deep sea of negativity and downheartedness. My interaction with the taxi driver challenged me to revisit what it means to truly be content and these are some of the lessons I have drawn out in order to begin practicing and cultivating the culture of contentment daily. 

Always be thankful

There’s something about having a heart of gratitude that compels us to consistently count our blessings rather than ravelling in despair about the things we do not have. When I focus my attention on the things in my life that actually matters such as family, friends, community – I am often reduced to feel quite overwhelmed and humbled at just how much I am loved and appreciated. Thankfulness is the antidote dissatisfaction.  Everything I somehow think I need to complete me becomes just that, things; which in the grand scheme of things will never fulfil me. I will inevitably always desire more and better than I have today. True contentment is realising that though we may not have it all, we choose to be thankful for our portion and therefore make the most of what we have right here right now. Ultimately, practicing the culture of contentment is finding meaning in every aspect life and developing a permanent posture of gratitude which changes our perspective on our situation.  

Embrace the season you are in, the good, the bad and the messy. This is where growth and maturity flourishes. 

Settling for less?

Contrary to popular belief, contentment doesn’t necessarily connote settling for less or embracing complacency in regards to who you are and where you currently find yourself, but instead having the attentiveness to recognise that you are a work in progress.  The act of being content does not mean abandoning your dreams and ambitions and seating idly and hoping for the best. Neither does it mean losing faith in the mighty power of God to do exceedingly abundantly more in your life. Interestingly however, it should create room for self-awareness which illuminates areas of improvement and facilitates positive growth which is essential for one’s journey. Contentment frees us to experience pleasure in the little things and to value the very things we may take for granted and is a constantly reminder that goodness lives even in the dull and mundane moments of life. So ask yourself those difficult and uncomfortable questions, explore why you are unhappy and write down things that can help you overcome these. When was the last time you really dag deep and extracted some harsh root causes of your dissatisfaction and was prepared to get your hands dirty to plant seeds of contentment?

Acknowledge that you are enough

Do you believe that you are enough? In the world of social media and technological advancement where people tend to glorify their self-image, success and journeys & appear to have it all together, there can be a tendency to compare ourselves with others and long to be validated by others. Worry, anxiety, depression and discontentment can slowly creep in and begin to eat away at our joy and peace. Self-contained contentment sends a powerful statement which showcases that you are embracing your strength, weaknesses, self-value and insecurities and often has an overwhelming ripple effect on how you view everything around you.

I’ve kept my feet on the ground, I’ve cultivated a quiet heart. Like a baby content in its mother’s arms, my soul is a baby content Psalm 131:2 (msg)

Practice peace

At the end of the day when I lay my head down to sleep, I do not want to be so overwhelmed with worries flooding my mind, stealing attention and ultimately my peace. Oh how I want to be like the baby described in the passage above, casting my cares and anxieties to my heavenly father who already promised to take care of them and sustain me each day. Having spent time observing many new-born babies, one quickly realises how incredibly simple their lives are. My two week old nephew for example isn’t busy fussing about growing up and what tomorrow may bring. His main needs are daily, moment by moment and they are not many, so he rests at peace knowing that they will be met. So why is it that when we grow up we are so busy looking ahead that we forget to look around and enjoy the moment? Today has so much in store for you. Please take this day to count your many blessings; keep your feet and heart grounded in the truth that God, your good good father has your best interest in mind, knowing every detail of for what is ahead. Keep planting seeds of contentment and hope today, and watch them flourish into a harvest of peace.

Have a blessed week ahead. 


Fufu

No comments:

Post a Comment