Monday 25 November 2013

The gift of presence…


[Disclaimer: excuse the irony of this topic, as I’ve not been ‘present’ on this platform these few weeks, I do apologise. You must know me by now, go with it]

When was the last time you were fully present, engaging in a conversation with someone who really needed your attention, and being attentive to the words spoken whilst curiously anticipating to participate? I don’t know about you, but I’ve been really struggling with this one recently, hence why I’ve resorted on writing down (ranting) about it here. With the holiday season fast approaching, most people are now busy buying physical presents for their loved ones, but imagine the idea of offering someone something new, different and unconventional as a gift, your time and presence…How many of us would really sign up to that?

‘I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I’ve learned that I still have lots to learn’ Maya Angelou

I don’t know about you but I love meeting up and catching up with my friends. Be it at a café, eatery, restaurant or simply keeping it real (and cheap) and inviting them over for brunch, putting the kettle on (such a British thing, blame the change of weather) and just enjoying each other’s company. But there are many a times when I find it rather difficult to really engage in a conversation as my mind drifts of to the many different things I ought to get down, sorting out the emails, doing the laundry, organising my files, diary and planning meetings and the list is endless. It is just impossible to really be in the moment. As a result, I end up missing important information and therefore feel even worse for having to ask them to repeat them. Or the awkward silence when I look up after checking the myriad of social media I’m connected to, to find that they are awaiting a response I do not have. Am I the only one who struggles with this? In this day and age, most of us find ourselves being practically glued to their phones; multi-tasking these meet-ups as our mind and attention are drawn elsewhere, leaving the other person feeling unappreciated!
 
Although most of us do this unintentionally, I’ve now come to realise just how crucial being fully present is. Being a blessing to someone could be as simple as just giving them a listening ear, extending care and concern to the many people we cross on our paths each day, this doesn’t only apply to the people we love and call friends. The challenge here is to step outside out comfort zones and complimenting someone, encouraging another individual at work, going the distance and starting a conversation with someone we wouldn’t normally mingle with…the simple things. My recent prayer recently has been extremely straight forward, it goes something like ‘Lord, help me to be of service to somebody today’, and there it is; nothing fancy or pretentious but one that comes from the heart. And it always blows my mind the things that tend to happen when I am fully present and attentive to the Holy Spirit moving in the very mundane aspects of life. So this is what I’ve learnt:

1.      Give the gift of Time. ‘Each person who receives the gift of your attention and genuine presence will be touched by the gift of you.’ – positivelybeautiful.com

2.      Help others. Be attentive to the needs of others around you, extending a helping hand without expecting much in return & the Lord will bless you.

3.      Keep calm and laugh. Relax and enjoy the moment.

The most precious gift we can offer others is our presence. When mindfulness embraces those we love, they will bloom like flowers. -Thich Nhat Hanh

Who do you need to listen to today? Have a prayerful heart and an attentive spirit and be a blessing to someone! Happy Monday! Remember the ARK principle. Try doing one Act of Random Kindness each day. You might actually like it.

~Joy and peace

Fufu

No comments:

Post a Comment